Create’s Christmas Chutney
This Cranberry & Apple chutney is perfect with cold meats and cheeses on Boxing Day.
Makes a one litre jar
275 g fresh cranberries
350 g peeled and cored apples
275 g pitted dates
450 g peeled onions
50 g sea salt
1 dessertspoon grated root ginger
75 g allspice powder
450 g demerara sugar
570 ml cider vinegar
1. Finely chop the onions and dates.
2. Peel and core the apples and chop into chunky
3. Pour the cider vinegar, salt, allspice powder
and fresh ginger into a large saucepan and
bring to the boil.
4. Add the cranberries, apples, dates and onions
and stir in the sugar.
5. Leave to simmer on a low heat without a lid, for
1.5 hours until the chutney has thickened. Stir
occasionally throughout the cooking period.
6. Meanwhile, wash your chutney jar thoroughly
in warm soapy water, rinse, dry and heat in a
moderate oven for 5 minutes
- this sterilises the jar.
7. Spoon the cooked chutney into the warmed jar,
seal well with greaseproof paper and tight lids,
and label as soon as it’s cold.
Store in a cool dry place and eat
within three months!